lundi 24 mars 2008

on the road going home

It was in Tanzania with Bro. Omay SVD and Fr. Sebio SVD(seated) with the MAASAI children.

Adjustment on many things sets in. My eyes get tired early and wanted to retire while the sun was still up. We spent the day going around the place outside the city of Nairobi. Everywhere, I found one and the same color of the people. Every one stares at us and children mostly greeted us with their welcoming smiles coupled with their universal greeting “how are you”, the only English words that children knows in greeting foreigners. In kayote, one of the parishes run by the svd’s outside the city, we have had our first African Mass in their own dialect – Swahili. I have not understood even a single word but the whole two hours of celebration was a new experience of the Mass for me. The big church was filled with people. I did not understand their language but I understood how God works on many ways and their dancing and singing tells me more than they can express in words. It was an experience with these new faces and color of people that brought me an inner sense of admiration. Even a little girl can move and dance gracefully. It was as if they were born to sing and to dance. The whole congregation participates and dances gracefully in unison with the song they sing. What a beautiful expression of unity and faith among them in the celebration. We have finished the Mass after two hours. I got enough even just for the first time but I still have more to learn …

Afterwards we went to a giraffe breeding and captivity where tourists come to see face to face with the giraffe. Giraffe is actually not a small animal; they are rather huge and tall of six meters high. I took some pictures of them including the Kenyan turtle as big as the medium size of a laundry basin. We left the breeding center with all admiration in my heart. Not so far we have encountered Camels walking along side of the street and they were indeed big and tamed. These animals were formerly not real to me. I can only see them in pictures and in movies but here I am face to face with them even with that of the donkey and white hog. What a beautiful place!

We proceeded to a place where traditional culture were presented but since we came a bit early we decided to have a close glance of the actual model of the houses of the different tribes here in Kenya. The houses were called as “mud house” practically because they were made out mud mixed with the dung of the cow because it is sticky. The houses are constructed strategically where culture and costume of the particular tribe are expressed. It was the polygamous culture of the Kenyan natives that were clearly expressed in those set ups where male is considered as higher than women.

On our way home, we passed by a kind of a shopping mall which is not like that of my understanding of the mall in the Philippines. It was rather like a single story and a small market where there are groceries for goods and restaurants for Asians and Europeans. At least inside that mall I have seen other faces like Indians and whites. But what is common to everyone is that they are fun of calling us as Chinese.

Back in our provincial house, we were informed that the invitation letter from Congo might come within the week. Since we cannot go to the embassy of Congo here in Kenya without that invitation, instead while waiting we maximized the time by visiting our confreres in the mission here in the province. It was good because our confreres here in the provincialate were too generous and kind to us. The next day, early morning we traveled by land at least about 5 hours to visit our confreres in Tanzania. Tanzania is a country next to Kenya. So we crossed borders again and in that case we brought all our necessary documents like passport and visa. Preparing my things made me realized that I have brought only 10 pieces of T-shirt and 2 short pants and 4 long pants, 1 jacket and 1 formal coat plus barong tagalog for three years here in Africa. I hope I can always catch up washing them.

Huh!...it’s still far from my place of destination and yet I had already the feeling of being there. Perhaps because of the situation and especially of the people here reminds me always of their faces and colors. I kept telling myself that Congo is almost similar to this place. Brother Manuel Omay, SVD kept telling us that in Congo is much difficult than here in Kenya. With that I guess he is right that the secret of finding my place with them is to adapt myself to whatever situation that awaits me there. Everything becomes part of the preparation of the reality there in Congo. Tanzania was considered as another country where I have learned and prepared myself for Congo. While waiting for the time I believed that part of it is the enjoyment of doing mission.

Memories of the past keep on coming especially those that has some personal attachments regarding emotions and feelings. But the thing is no longer the same. I am here in the field of mission and I have to perform well what is expected of me as I am. Philippines will always be there inside me and forever be part of me. Everything in the Philippines becomes a distant part of my reality now here in Africa. I have to let go of the Philippines including everything and everyone in there. But they are my inspiration in doing and in living my life here in Africa. I let them go so that God can go for them…I let go and I let God.

1 commentaire:

Felmar Castrodes Fiel a dit…

fr. noi, i already included your blog in my list of svd bloggers. the link is found at the right side of my missionary journey blog...